- Diversity & Inclusion
- Contact Us
When the Johns Hopkins University was founded in 1876, it became the first university in the United States to stress graduate education and original research—an emphasis that remains today. The School of Arts and Sciences and the Whiting School of Engineering are located on the Homewood campus, a wooded 140 acre estate in north Baltimore. Homewood is easily accessible to the Medical Institutions by free, frequent shuttle bus service. The Carnegie Institutions of Washington, Department of Embryology, a leading center for the study of developmental biology, is also located on the Homewood campus.
School of Medicine
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine is one of the world's foremost centers of biological and medical research. The vitality and diversity of research at the Medical School - ranging from atomic structure to the study of human diseases - provide an exceptionally stimulating environment for graduate students. The Medical School is located on the Hopkins East Baltimore campus, along with the School of Public Health, the School of Nursing, the Johns Hopkins Hospital, and the Welch Medical Library.
Member laboratories are housed primarily in the basic science complex, which consists of five interconnected buildings and the Welch Medical Library. There is a wide range of state-of-the-art core facilities available to BCMB students. These include facilities for:
- DNA synthesis and sequencing, peptide synthesis and sequencing
- high throughput screening and chemical libraries
- statistical and bioinformatics data analysis
- deep sequencing
- mass spectrometry and proteomics
- transgenic mouse production and phenotyping
- fluorescence-activated cell sorting
- two-photon microscopy
- specialized fluorescence microscopy for TIRF, FRET, FRAP, etc.
- confocal microscopy (laser scanning and spinning disk)
- electron microscopy (transmission and scanning)
Johns Hopkins is also equipped for NMR, ESR, and CD, X-ray diffraction.
For more information, please visit the Core Facilities website.